Thursday, May 16, 2013
Monday, April 15, 2013
Thursday, April 11, 2013
"Pollution Probe and the Not-So-Secret Beginnings of Environmental Activism in Ontario" lecture at Trent University - April 18
I'm delivering a public lecture titled "Pollution Probe and the Not-So-Secret Beginnings of Environmental Activism in Ontario" on Thursday, April 18 at 7pm. The lecture will occur at Bagnani Hall, Traill College (Trent University) in Peterborough. For more information, please check out the poster or send me an email.
All are welcome!
Sunday, April 7, 2013
This past week I had the opportunity to present at the Annual Conference of the American Society for Environmental History. My panel, "Transnational Environmentalism and the Creation of a Canadian Movement," featured four papers. The papers, in order of presentation, were:
- Henry Trim, University of British Columbia
- "Expert Advice: Environmentalism and Canadian Energy Policy"
- Ryan O'Connor, Trent University
- "Regional Fissures and International Interests: Building Support for the Canadian Coalition on Acid Rain, 1981-1990"
- Mark Leeming, Dalhousie University
- "Friends in Far Places: Cape Breton's Herbicide Trial"
- Jonathan Clapperton, University of Saskatchewan
- "Reconsidering Indigenous Environmentalism: Culture, Nature, and Ecological Stewardship on the Northwest Pacific Coast"
I'd like to thank all those who came out to hear our panel. A special thanks goes out to Michael Egan for expertly chairing the panel and for sharing his keen insights.
Monday, April 1, 2013
I'll be teaching History 309A: Canada in the 1960s at the University of Prince Edward Island July-August 2013. Information about the course can be found on the nifty poster designed by my buddy, Cory Gavin. Additional questions about the course can be sent to me.
Registration is now open.
Sunday, February 10, 2013
Back in November I participated in a round table discussion about the history of the Canadian environmental movement. The round table was recorded and broadcast as episode 34 of Sean Kheraj's "Nature's Past" podcast. If you're interested in listening you can find it online here.
Thanks go out to Sean for his work putting this together, as well as my fellow participants Jonathan Clapperton, Mark McLaughlin, and Frank Zelko for the interesting thoughts. We should do this again sometime!
Thursday, December 6, 2012
My review of Tzeporah Berman's memoir, This Crazy Time: Living Our Environmental Challenge, is now posted on the BC Studies website. You can check it out here.